Baked Salmon with Broccoli and Sweet Potatoes
Winter’s cold, dark evenings offer a great time to enjoy a warm, home-cooked meal. Preparing dinner with foods packed with antioxidants and other nutrients that may support cognitive function is even better. This delicious salmon recipe has plenty of these nutrients and is simple to prepare. Instead of standing at the stove or bustling around your kitchen, just pop the prepared baking sheet in the oven for an easy dinner.
The salmon in this recipe has healthy fats called omega-3 fatty acids. It also has B vitamins, like vitamin B12, folic acid, and vitamin B6. All of these nutrients may support healthy cognitive function.
You’ll also get antioxidants, including vitamin C and flavonoids, from broccoli when you make this tasty meal. Sweet potatoes add yet another source of antioxidants, while extra virgin olive oil adds healthy fats.
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 3 tbsp low-fat mayonnaise
- 4 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 peeled and cubed medium sweet potatoes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 1/ 1/4 lbs salmon fillet
- 1 juiced lime
- 1 zested lime
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil
- Coat foil with cooking spray
- Mix chili powder and mayonnaise in a small bowl
- Combine sweet potatoes, 2 tsp olive oil, 1/8 tsp pepper, and 1/4 tsp salt in a medium bowl
- Spread sweet potatoes on baking sheet, and roast for 15 minutes
- Combine broccoli with 2 tsp olive oil, 1/8 pepper, and 1/4 tsp salt in a bowl
- Remove baking sheet, stir sweet potatoes, and push them to the sides of the baking sheet
- Cut salmon into 4 pieces and place in the center of the baking sheet
- Place broccoli on both sides of the baking sheet with the sweet potatoes
- Spread 2 tbsp of the mayonnaise mix over salmon pieces
- Bake for roughly 15 minutes until salmon pieces flake with a fork and potatoes are tender
- Add juiced lime and zested lime to 1 tbsp mayonnaise mix, then stir
- Divide salmon into servings, and top with feta and cilantro
- Divide broccoli and sweet potatoes into servings and drizzle with mayonnaise mix
- Serve with lime wedges
Looking for other ways to support cognitive function? Taking supplements may provide a convenient way to do so, in addition to eating foods like salmon. Prevagen is a supplement that contains apoaequorin, originally discovered in jellyfish, which may support cognition. Check out Prevagen reviews to get more information.