Simple and Delicious Butternut Squash Soup
Butternut squash soup is filled with nutrients that support healthy brain function. Find out how to make this savory fall recipe.
A hot bowl of soup offers a great way to warm up on a crisp fall day. With butternut squash being in season, this vegetable is the perfect ingredient to use. Butternut squash also offers tons of nutrients that may support healthy brain function, making it an even better choice for a nutritious lunch or dinner. Butternut squash contains antioxidants. This tasty fall vegetable also contains vitamin E, which has been linked to supporting healthy cognitive function at all ages.
This soup recipe also includes extra virgin olive oil, which supports healthy brain function. Olive oil contains healthy fats called monounsaturated fats that support healthy cognitive function. It also has brain-healthy vitamin E and other antioxidants.
Flavoring butternut squash soup with certain spices and seasonings can give it an added boost of nutrients that are good for your brain. Ginger has compounds that help support healthy cognitive function.. Garlic, rosemary, and sage have antioxidants that may help support brain function and memory.
This simple recipe is quick to make when you want a healthy meal or a nutritious side dish to serve with other brain-healthy foods, such as salmon.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 chopped onion
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cubed butternut squash
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 3 chopped garlic cloves
- 1/2 tablespoon minced rosemary
- 1 tablespoon chopped sage
- 3-4 cups vegetable broth
- Heat olive oil on medium heat in a large pot.
- Add salt, onion, and black pepper, then sauté for 5 to 8 minutes or until soft.
- Add cubed squash, then cook for 8 to 10 minutes, Stir occasionally while cooking.
- Add ginger, garlic, rosemary, and sage, then stir and cook for about one minute.
- Add vegetable broth, and bring to a boil.
- Cover the pot, then turn heat down. Let soup simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Let soup cool slightly, then pour it into a blender. Blend soup until it’s creamy and smooth.
- Add another cup of broth, then blend if soup is too thick.
- Serve with bread or focaccia if desired.
Whether you enjoy a bowl of butternut squash soup with bread or serve it as a side dish, you can look forward to enjoying the brain benefits it offers. For even more support for healthy cognitive function, consider a nutritional supplement, such as Prevagen. This pharmacist-recommended supplement is packed with nutrients that support healthy cognitive function, while also helping with mild memory issues related to aging.1* Apoequorin, an ingredient that was originally discovered in jellyfish. To learn more about Prevagen, we invite you to read customer reviews.