It’s officially pumpkin season!
Pumpkin flavored goodies aren’t always the healthiest so we’re excited to share these healthy pumpkin muffins!
- ⅓ cup melted coconut oil or olive oil
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup pumpkin purée
- ¼ cup almond milk
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin spice blend (or 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, ½ teaspoon ground ginger, ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg, and ¼ teaspoon ground allspice)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¾ cups whole wheat flour
- ⅓ cup old-fashioned oats, plus more for sprinkling on top
- Optional: Nuts, chocolate chips, or dried fruit
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. If necessary, grease all 12 cups of your muffin tin with butter or non-stick cooking spray (my pan is non-stick and didn’t require any grease).
- In a large bowl, beat the oil and maple syrup or honey together with a whisk. Add the eggs, and beat well. Add the pumpkin purée, milk, pumpkin spice blend, baking soda, vanilla extract and salt.
- Add the flour and oats to the bowl and mix with a large spoon, just until combined (a few lumps are ok). If you’d like to add any additional mix-ins, like nuts, chocolate or dried fruit, mix those in now!
- Distribute the batter evenly between the muffin cups. Sprinkle the tops of the muffins with about a tablespoon of oats, followed by a light sprinkle of raw sugar and/or pumpkin spice blend if you’d like. Bake muffins for 22 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean.
- Place the muffin tin on a cooling rack to cool. might need to run a butter knife along the outer edge of the muffins to loosen them from the pan.
- These muffins taste even better after they have rested for a couple of hours! They’ll keep at room temperature for up to 2 days, or in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. They keep well in the freezer in a freezer-safe bag for up to 3 months (just defrost individual muffins as needed).
PUMPKIN FUN FACTS
Did you know that pumpkin seeds are rich with brain healthy nutrients including zinc, magnesium, copper and iron. Support healthy brain function with Prevagen, a pharmacist-recommended supplement that helps with mild memory loss associated with aging and supports healthy brain function. Prevagen ingredients include Vitamin D and Apoaequorin, a safe and unique ingredient originally discovered in jellyfish. Does Prevagen really work? Check out some Prevagen reviews from real customers here.